Thursday 3 May 2012

Day 31 (May 3) Portwrinkle to Mt. Batten

Weather overcast, no wind. After 20 minutes I had damp feet - so much for my almost new Merrell boots - will be taking them back to Cotswolds when I've finished the walk.
Had to take the longish detour around the M.O.D's Tregantle Firing Ranges cos else they would have shot me! The coast path took me around Rame Head & Penlee Point which would have provided good photo opportunities if the sun was out, but it wasn't. Trundled on to the delightful Cawsand & Kingsand villages, and then into the grounds of Mt. Edgcumbe Country Park. The only deer I saw were old ones.
After taking the wrong path (twice) I ended up just missing the Cremyll Ferry which allowed me just enough time to sink a pint of Proper job in the Edgcumbe Arms - must go back sometime to sample the food which looked very tasty. Walked through familiar territory of the Hoe and the Barbican where I met up with Lyn. She had done some shopping but wouldn't tell me what she had bought! Took ferry to Mt. Batten where we are spending the night in a car park (next to Mt. Batten Hotel where we will be eating tonight).

According to SWCP handbook I have now completed 419 miles with a cumulative ascent of over 80,000 ft.

2 comments:

  1. I emailed BBC spotlight yesterday, saying how surprised I was that I hadn't seen any coverage of your walk. Doubt that will prompt a response, but worth a try! Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beginning to warm to your outlook on life, overnighting in car parks. For years after a good night out I've had the comfort of a car park bench to keep me warm, long after my legs have stopped working and I've drunk my taxi fare home. On the topic of the M. O. D. firing range you needn't have worried as those boys are able to hit what they aim at ...........actually........ thinkng about it......... very wise!!

    Glad the weather appears to have broken.

    ReplyDelete