Saturday 5 May 2012

Day 32 (May 4) Mt. Batten to Bigbury

Overcast with poor visibility out to sea - slight breeze.
Good path most of the way - made good progress to Noss Mayo. Ferryman said I should get a real move on if I intended crossing the River Erme on foot. He reckoned if I got there after 1p.m. it would not be possible. Although I walked quicker than usual I arrived at the River Erme at almost 1p.m. I didn't know where the exact crossing point was - it all looked improbable but I asked a chap exercising his dogs on the flats. He said it was fordable if I got a wriggle on because the tide was coming in and gave me the benefit of his local knowledge. So I took off my boots & socks, rolled trousers up and set oof. The water came up to my knees but I was across only just in time!
The rest of the walk was comparatively uneventful - the normal ups & downs, steps, etc. - the sun made a late appearance for a while.

Tonight we are staying at Mount Folly Farm - we have a hook-up but the facilities are the pits. At least the sheep aren't complaining although I have heard one or two bleats!

No comments:

Post a Comment