Tuesday 8 May 2012

Day 36 (May 8) Strete to Brixham

Again the van was lashed with rain last night but it cleared just as I was setting out. Perhaps the sun does shine on the righteous after all. Talking about celestial beings I reckon God wasn't very bright; he was O.K. in little matters like creating the earth and stuff but why oh why didn't he put the hills into the valleys. Then I wouldn't have to climb one bloody hill and then descend into a valley only to have to climb another boggin hill. If only God had my wisdom! You can't get decent Gods these days.
And another thing - have any of you (my millions of avid blog-readers) been on the lower ferry between Dartmouth and Kingswear? The ferry (or raft) is pulled along by a motor boat. As soon as it leaves the anchorage the boat does a 180 degrees turn. Why can't the boat just reverse across the river? Maybe it was done this way because it originally had a woman driver.
John P is joining me for the walk tomorrow, Brixham to Shaldon & says he might even join me the next day, Shaldon to Sidmouth. It will be good to have John's company - he was the chap who got me interested in walking when we were neighbours in Devon so he's got a lot to answer for. I've promised John I won't mention football as he is a keen Blackburn supporter - tee, hee!



Another Devon neighbour, Graham & his daughter Melissa are joining us tonight for a meal out in Brixham. Should be a good laugh and catch up with gossip.

1 comment:

  1. On a similar vein to your reversing boat theory, it was reported to me once by a member of my family, I forget who, my wife I think, that she overhead an extremely loud american couple waiting to cross the Boddinnick Ferry at Fowey,discussing the large container ship being manouvered into position through Fowey harbour by a couple of tugs. The husband says, gee would ya look at the size of that thing.........it takes two boats to guide it.....one pulling and one pushing!!!

    God bless America.

    P.S. Are you counting down the miles yet?

    ReplyDelete